Motor controllers for electric propulsion
Traction motor control for unmanned aerial vehicles, e-bikes, e-scooters, bicycles and other electric vehicles. Our ESC3 controller family can be used in the widest range of applications, whether your priority is an extreme dynamics, maximum efficiency, smooth start, regenerative braking or pricing optimization.
We dedicated past more than 5 years to very intensive research and design, with a goal to introduce an exclusive controller series. We went through this develpment all the way from ground up. All the used technologies, algorithms, schematics and programmings are our own and we designed them with an aim to shift the boundaries of electric propulsion systems.
- Extreme dynamic response.
- Extreme torque and efficiency.
- Small dimensions.
- Hybrid sensorless control. From zero RPM.
- User friendliness and compatibility with other systems.
- Flexibility and scalability.
Direct Torque Control. Since the very beginning of the development, we targeted towards high-precission hardware, which would allow us to do something more than just implementing the traditional methods, like FOC. Using a proprietery, extremely fast response and high precission current measurement together with a DSP, the closed loop response is only a several tens of nanoseconds. On the contrary to traditional closed loop control, DTC gives us extremely fast dynamic response and virtually eliminates the risk of current overshoot. The result is an extreme dynamic response of the motor without the risk of overloading the controller/cables/motor.
Hybrid sensorless drive. Do you think that sensorless drive can not be used in highly dynamic-demanding applications? An ESC3 controller can control a breathtaking electric dirt-bike without any motor sensors, even from zero RPM. Even with sensors used for motor startup, the controller always switches to sensorless drive afterwards. This eliminates the sensor positioning errors aswell as dynamic errors caused by magnetic induction. Commutation timing is then always correct, at the right time. This attitude typically increases the efficiancy up to 40%, and also eliminates the need for unreliable sensors. In vector drive mode, the controller can do position estimation based on machine saliency (retrieve rotor position at zero RPM), measure motor temperature due to winding resistance changes and more.
Multiple control algorithms. The controller is targeted not only for permanent magnet motors (PMSM) in BLDC or BLAC mode, but aswell as for for induction machines.
- Vector drive mode with FOC and DTC combination for very smooth operation in the whole range. Ideal for daily used electric scooters, boats, cars...
- Trapezoidal mode with active freewheeling, DTC and hybrid sensorless drive for agressive dynamics and massive power delivery. Ideal for electric racing machines of all kinds.
Highest efficiency. Even in the simplest mode, the controller always takes care of its current path to minimize heating losses. Synchronous rectification and regenerative braking is a standard. We achieve more than 99.5% efficiency with current state-of-the-art power semiconductors. Most ESC3 controllers requires virtually no additional cooling (depending on application).
Very small dimensions. Thanks to the DTC and high efficiency, the power stage does not need to be oversized. We always struggle to design each controller as space-efficient as possible. As an example, our controller for a 2 kW hub motor has rough dimensions of 50 x 30 mm (2 x 1 in.). Our controllers show about one third the dimensions in comparison with our competition's product of the same category.
Connectivity. The controllers are equipped with the industry-standard intefaces, such as CAN, RS232, RS485 for binding with other controllers and a bunch of analog/digital inputs/outputs for user interfacing, vehicle sensors or contactor driving. Moreover, most of these are galvanicaly isolated (with separate ground potential) from the battery terminals. This enables interference free cooperation of multiple controllers within one vehicle and avoids parasitic ground loops. Each controller has an embedded USB interface for parametrizing, real-time monitoring and firmware upgrade. No special adaptor is required. Just plug the controller to your PC and get instant access to everything inside. Some controllers even have an embedded WIFI / BLUETOOTH module with builtin antenna, for end-user communication with modern smartphones or wearables.
Examples of some serially produced members from the ESC3 family
Our controllers can be found in a variety of applications, from a professional, military drones, through high-end e-bikes, e-scooters and electric dirt-bikes.
Summary of marginal parameters of the ESC3 controller family for 3-phase electric powertrain system
- nominal battery voltage 16 to 80 V DC
- continuous phase current up to 400 A
- high precission measurement of phase currents and voltages, DSP processor with FPU for advanced control methods
- Very high efficiency with very small dimensions
- over/under current, over/under voltage, over/under temperature protection
- auto diagnostics of controller/motor/battery, fail-safe mode
- equipped for control of synchronous PMSM (BLDC/BLAC) or induction machine
- equipped for DTC/FOC (Direct Torque Control, Field Oriented Control)
- equipped for state-of-the-art sensorless control with mathematical motor model, determining of rotor position at zero RPM based on machine saliency
- equipped for motor identification (measurement of non-linear inductance Ld, Lq, resistance etc.)
- equipped for control and measurement of speed, torque, voltage; proportionally controllable regenerative braking
- equipped for battery capacity measurement, power, range, etc.
- service logging: total mileage, motor-hours, total cappacity etc.
- auto power OFF, positive/negative key-switch in
- seamless cooperation of multiple controllers within one EV (galvanic isolation)
- motor sensors interface: hall sensors / resolver / magnetic encoder / SSI / BiSS / optical encoder
- up to 5x analog/digital input/output with galvanic isolation
- up to 8x analog/digital input/output
- up to 3x contactor output
- runtime phase terminals and I/O pins short-circuit protection
- embedded USB interface for user parametrization, tuning, real-time graphing and firmware upgrade
- microSD card slot for high-volume data logging
- role of BMS – measurement of charge/discharge current, voltage, cappacity, charger connect/disconnect, battery management
- CAN, UART a RS485 interface with galvanic isolation for parametrizing, state exchange or communication with other controllers
- embedded Bluetooth or WIFI module with internal antenna for end-user communication
If you are interested, please contact us. We will offer to you a specific solution for your needs. We can also offer a custom branding, enclosure design, or even development of a custom controller if your needs are outside of these specifications.